Powered by Blogger.

How to declutter your jewelry collection

by - May 05, 2020


It is difficult to part from my clothes, shoes, bags and jewellery in that very order. However, keeping unnecessary pieces only leads to a lot of stuff and that limits the usage of the good ones. Too much stuff also causes stress and/or anxiety, whether you realise it or not. 
Imagine a cupboard where you have everything you want and you want everything that it has. Think about it. With that goal in mind, I recently decluttered my jewellery collection. Here is how-

Step 1:
I took out all my jewellery and put them in categories- necklaces, bracelets, rings, anklets, earrings, etc. Next, within each group, I further grouped things by colour. This part is optional but gives you clarity on whether you have too much in the same colour. You could instead group by style (chokers/hoops/etc.) or material (crystal/stone/silver/etc.).

Step 2: 
I made 3 sections on my bed- 
1. Give away- Jewellery that is in good shape and it kind of hurts to throw it. So I would pass it on to my loved ones. It could also be an idea to sell these pieces. 
2. Keep- These pieces go back into my cupboard.
3. Memory box- I am not going to wear these but they are special because they bring back memories (for whatever reason- it could be a special gift, you picked it from a favourite trip or maybe your grandma passed it over to you, etc.). Tuck this memory box away.

The other pieces directly go to the bin.

Step 3: Decision-making 
I went through every single piece of non-precious jewellery and made my decision to keep it, give it away or throw it based on the following:

1. Have I worn it in the last 1 year? Yes- Keep. No- Next question!
2. Have I outgrown this piece? Yes- Discard (Giveaway/Memory box/Bin). No- Next question!
Example- These were earrings with hearts and butterflies, or a necklace with too many tassels, even a very bright gold statement necklace which surely I am not going to wear anymore.
3. Do I have pieces similar in style/colour/material to this one? Yes- pick the one that excites you from that bunch of similar things and keep it; discard the rest. No- Next question!
4. Is it really my style and does it make me happy when I wear it? Yes- Keep. No- Next question!
Example- I gave away a beautiful layered necklace just because it was a bit too thick chained for my taste and I would always pick up other layered necklaces over this. I also gave away some silver jewellery because I realised that golds, browns, greens, and orange pieces suit my brown skin better.  
5. Is it a unique or statement piece that suits particular occasions only? Yes- Keep. No- Discard.

Step 4: Maintaining this collection
This is more for the future but here is what you could do-
1. Avoid impulse-buys by maintaining wishlists and checking your cart back later to see if these items still excite you. You could ask yourselves the questions 3, 4 and 5 again. Also, with wishlists, you can choose to only buy on sale.
2. Make it a rule to replace existing items while adding new buys.
3. Figure out the theme of your collection and stick to it- rare finds? trendy pieces? 
In the former case, you should avoid stock buying from retail shops/sites, and only pick collectables from travels or vintage finds.

Later, I created a WhatsApp group with all my girls where I posted the pictures of the 30 giveaway items. I asked them to pick whatever they like and I would give it to them when I see them next, Some of them were quite excited about this and 70% of my stuff found a new home where it would find more love. 

This process has given me more peace of mind and pride in my jewellery and I wish the same for you.
If you have more ideas on this then please share with all of us in the comments below.

You May Also Like

0 comments

© 2020 GARIMA JAIN ALL RIGHTS RESERVED