Powered by Blogger.

Tips to make your Annapurna Base Camp trek experience better

by - April 03, 2018

So you are planning the ABC trek? Great decision! 

I did it in late October of 2017 with Indiahikes trekking group. They do it in 8 days' time (+1 buffer day). While you might already have done your share of basic research on this trek and Indiahikes have almost got it all covered here, but these few tips would make your experience even better.


Before the trek...

1. Climb stairs
Yes, running and strength training is all very important to build your stamina for this great Himalayan trek but specifically, do not forget to do a fair bit of stair-climbing. Your legs will thank you when you find out that about 80% of the trek is- ta-da! -stairs; high stairs (I am 5'3"). And you come down the same set of stairs that you climb up. 

2. Kneecaps
Carry a good pair of kneecaps and yet another one to support your ankles/shin/calves. The latter came in so handy for me.

3. Get a strong back or else offload your rucksack
I was 2-treks old before this (Rupin Pass and Tarsar Marsar) and had never offloaded my rucksack. With the high stairs on this trek and my not so strong back, I had to offload after a day (not in favour of it though). So make that choice. If you are not going with a trekking group then porters are available.

4. Good shoes and a not-too-long poncho
It rained quite a bit and even snowed during the trek. This made the trail quite slippery. Ergo good shoes are important but also make sure that you can see your legs while wearing your poncho (cut it short if you cannot). It is important to see your feet while climbing up the stairs else...

5. Hydration pack (good to have)
While walking ~10 km a day, you will find carrying a hydration pack extremely convenient rather than making multiple stops. I did sweat more than usual on this one and one cannot stress less about the importance of hydration on this trek (or all treks in general). 
I also carried diamox tablets with me as I really fear AMS.

6. Sunscreen is an absolute must on this trek. Go for high SPF. I would recommend Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Lightweight Sunscreen Spray, SPF 70. The spray makes it easy to spread it on arms and legs. Suitable for the face as well but do not spray directly on it.

7. Ladies, choose your trek dates wisely, outside the red zone, unless trekking on period is on your bucket list. Haha! Yes, it happened to me :(

8. Lastly, if you give a damn about and are prone to acne

  • The weather can be extremely drying so carry a heavy moisturizer. For dry/combination skin, Aveeno Dermaxa Emollient Soothing Cream works great and also doubles as lip balm (triples as hand cream too)
  • Carry a pillow case with you
  • You will sweat tonnes so carry gentle face wipes

Other quick tips:
1. There are tea houses along the trek that need pre-booking unless you are feeling lucky.
2. Do not rely on the slow wifi in the tea houses to make your travel bookings back home.
3. Both the base camps (the ABC and the Machapuchhre one) were extremely cold during my time of trek. Carry multiple thin layers to keep warm. Do not forget the gloves.
4. Carry a vacuum flask to keep the drinking water warm if you tend to catch a cold too quickly.


When on the trek...

1. Do not forget to get up in the middle of the night at ABC to take in the beautiful starlit sky and find yourself surrounded by the majestic mountains. You will remember it your entire life! It gave me goosebumps...

2. This trek is a double treat. You will also cross the Machapuchhre base camp before ABC. This fish-tailed mountain is probably one of the world's most beautiful so do not forget to click a picture with it in the backdrop. :D

3. I saw many eight & seven-thousanders during the Pokhara-Kathmandu flight so look out for that if you're lucky. 
    And no, Everest is way out of the way.



4. Safe food choices: English breakfast, dal bhaat and pizzas (it'll be all yak cheese)


Afterwards...

1. Hog on some amazing food by the lakeside at Pokhara. We went to one of the wood-fired pizza places.
2. There are various options for adventure sports at Pokhara to try out.
3. Do not miss a club night at Kathmandu - great fun, great people!

 --
I have lived a great deal of my life in Himachal and Kashmir but these mountains were oh so gigantic! 
You have a great trek and do not read too much on the itinerary beforehand. It kind of takes the 'surprise & delight' element away.



You May Also Like

7 comments

  1. This is absolutely lovely. Thanks for this post.
    Could you tell me what kind of knee support you used? The knee sleeve kind or the ones with velcro with patella opening?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I used the knee sleeve for my calves/shin. I bought a very basic one from the nearby pharmacy.
      A friend of mine had a very bad knee pain so somebody handed him a pair with 'velcro with patella opening'. It really helped him.

      The sleeve one kept slipping down my knee.

      Hope this helps.

      Delete
    2. I guess I am saying that carry both if you have or fear knee issues. Also, wear them all the time as a preventive measure and do not wait for the knees to go bad. :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Garima. I think I will go all the way and get both :P They are not heavy and don't want to risk ruining the experience with all my focus on my knee. And what you said about wearing beforehand and not wait till knees go bad answers a question I had on the back of my mind.
      Your blog has been immensely helpful.
      And kudos for treading on the 'red zone'. It is time we 'decriminalise' this 'natural phenomena' :)

      Delete
    4. Hehe. It's true that periods need to be decriminalised!
      And I am glad the blog helps :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks. Very helpful. Just solved my dilemma of ABC- yes or no!!!
    Yes!! Yes!!

    ReplyDelete

© 2020 GARIMA JAIN ALL RIGHTS RESERVED