Powered by Blogger.

Dealing with low blood pressure

by - April 20, 2018

Low blood pressure is the less important sibling to high blood pressure and so it is not talked about much. I have struggled with it in the initial days. With time, I learned how to conquer those days when it would just be impossible to get out of the bed.
  1. Treat it as soon as the BP (blood pressure) goes down- Initially, I could not catch it right at the onset and would only realise that my BP has gone down when I would start to shiver. This is the worst stage and the sooner you catch it, the sooner it gets normal. So what are the symptoms that help you catch it early- feeling low for no reason, feeling light-headed, uncalled-for exhaustion, and blackouts when getting up the bed. These have always been the key indicators for me. For girls, it is almost like PMS so yes, I am sometimes unsure which of the two it is.
  2. What to do when it gets too low- Firstly, it is important to know that the definition of low is always specific to an individual. My normal stats are 110/80 which could be low for some people. When it gets too low, your hands shiver, you probably won't feel your legs, feel energyless, and it gets impossible to move. Quickly have 1 glass of lemon water with 1 spoon salt and 1 spoon sugar. This will give you ample energy to go home and get to your bed.
  3. What after the first-aid
    • Increase liquid intake by manyfold: water, coconut water, sports drinks like Gatorade
    • The savior- Keep a bottle full of glucose water with you and keep sipping on it throughout the day until it gets normal. This is the ultimate cure!
    • Do not stay hungry. Eat little portions of easily digestible food (Khichdi for Indians)
    • Without adequate rest, it is not going to get any better. Health is more important than all the other engagements.
    • Black coffee, beetroot et al? They probably work but the things I mentioned earlier are stars!
  4. Prevention
    • Exercise regularly. It can be just 30 minutes walk on a daily basis
    • Prevent over-exertion; know your stamina levels
    • Avoid too much alcohol when you are stressed/tired
    • Do not stress
    • Avoid lemon and honey water in the mornings
    • Avoid eating fruits that are just too citrusy like green apple, kiwi
    • Keep a note of your triggers and avoid them in future
  5. Can you trek with low BP?- yes! BP goes up on the mountains so it is actually good that you have low BP. I have gone on Himalayan treks with low BP on the previous day. On the other hand, trekking at high altitudes can get unsafe for high BP patients.
Low BP came with my genes. With these tips, my recovery period has reduced from a week to a couple days, it has stopped getting too low and the attacks have become rare. This makes me thankful that is it low BP that I deal with and not high *brighter side of things*. 

This is my experience and I would encourage you to share yours in the comments below.
--

That being said, if your BP goes too low and does not seem to improve, see a doctor immediately. Extremely low BP can be fatal.

You May Also Like

0 comments

© 2020 GARIMA JAIN ALL RIGHTS RESERVED